Saturday, September 12, 2015

Dress code: Formal

Waking up quite late on a Monday morning, bright sunshine lit and filled the room from the window next to my bed. I can hear the sounds of the wind in the trees, leaves rustles and birds gleeful songs that already occupied the empty park outside.
Nothing so special about this day so I said to myself, just the normal routine of a simple man like myself. Funny that I used to count the days as it comes by but now everything seems to be in an enclosed capsule where time doesn't exist and everything else is moving so slowly like in a slow motion state.
While slouching over the sofa trying to figure out what’s going to be my itinerary for the day and hoping not to get tangled into some paralysis by analysis, I was surprised to hear my phone ringing coming from my room. It took me for a while to identify that it was from my phone because I normally set it on vibrate mode, but by some twist of fate, I set the sounds on and with a thought of giving it a try. I am surely certain that I have lost track of the tunes that goes with it and I just want to make sure it still does sound good the way it was made to be.
With eagerness, I quickly rose from the couch and went to pick-up the phone, I stared shortly at it and with some bit of anxiousness as I try to figure out who this number was before I blurted out the word Hello?!...”. Then a soft and gentle voice of a lady came out of the opposite line confirming my name and the resume that I’ve sent over to her email address. She informed me of an interview to be scheduled the next day at 11am. I thought it was one of those credit card agents, but to my relief, I gladly agreed on the schedule and sincerely thanked the lady. I confirmed the email she sent through my personal email address and I was left with an ecstatic feeling for the rest of the day as if I’ve won some $100 from the lotto.
I’m not really into a suit and tie or the business attire, I just don’t feel comfortable wearing one. I’m a regular dude who’s into shirts and jeans and maybe some casual clothing when just heading for work. I’m in the manufacturing and technical sector for a long time now and that’s usually the dress code so it’s not really a big deal. Except this day is my interview and it was required from the email confirmation, and so I headed to my closet and searched for my trusty business attire minus the tie. I chose to wear a light blue long sleeves and tucked it in a khaki chino pants then paired that with my old durable brown leather boots which I polished the night before. I stood in front of the mirror and did a final check of myself with a few minutes remaining. Feeling like a big time buffoon, I quickly grab my house keys and walk my way towards the nearest bus stop and took a bus towards the interview venue.
With my mind preoccupied with the how's and what's of the interview, I suddenly realized that I left my phone back home. I thought that it’s going to be least of my worries since I’m pretty much self-assured that my name will be registered as an expected guest for this interview event most probably at the reception area, or so I thought. It turns out after I arrived at my destination, that’s about 3-5min before 11am, the building houses many offices with different firms even though it’s all under one company name. How am I going to know that, when all the details are in my phone through my email?! Worse, I am so dependent on my phone.
I wasn’t ready to push the panic button yet, I told myself, “go check your name on the guest list” which I did, but the guard at the reception told me that it’s not their usual practice, they always go by whoever was your contact person. Strike two, again, I don’t have the name or couldn’t remember the name of the contact person. My panic button is now reaching boiling point, but I’m still trying to keep my cool. I have one final attempt, I’ve asked the receptionist to allow me to make an outside call to contact my friend and ask for help to open my email address but just like moments before a disaster, the phone call turned in vain as I couldn’t contact my friend, strike 3. With my panic button now reaching the super hot lava level, I have no choice but to press the button. I left the company without any means to contact my interviewer and to inform her. This is the first time that happened to me.
Still feeling determined, I’ve searched for computer shops nearby, but couldn’t find one, and in the end, I succumbed to the defeat. I left took another bus and head back home, now I feel like a real buffoon. All those preparations for nothing. Upon reaching home, I contact my interviewer, apologized and found out she was also trying to contact me. I’ve requested for a reschedule which she gladly offered in the afternoon on the same day.
Bottom line, I’ve learned that, to always save or write down the details immediately and keep it somewhere safe, maybe inside your wallet or bag that you’re going to bring with you on the day of the interview. It’s better to have a copy than nothing at all. Low tech is still the king!



:)

No comments:

Post a Comment