Friday, October 23, 2015

Welcoming A New Kid in Town

A close friend of mine invited me to be the godfather to his son's baptism last Sunday. It was done under the Catholic rites so a priest was the one that administers the baptismal. I became the instant photographer that day as my friend's assigned official photographer was late. To make that more specific, I was the substitute photographer, but it was such a pleasure for me to be a part of that very special day for him and his family. 


Easter Candle
 I couldn't recall how many times I was invited to be the godfather to my friend's sons or daughters. I guess that made me officially a good choice for a "godfather material" friend. 

The only problem with it though is that, I couldn't remember all of their faces, once when they were still babies and right so when some of them were already grown-up. But I think on the hindsight, I could be at the right advantage here for having an appropriate excuse for missing their birthdays, holiday visits and those other gift giving events *smirk* --- just kidding of course =D.

The thing is, if you have attended once or before a Catholic baptismal rite, there are in fact hidden meanings to the things that are being used during the rites. Here are some few trivia.

Assembly. this refers to the whole church members, family, friends and godparents who were present in the church to welcome the baby to the Christian community.

Baptismal promises. parents and godparents gather around the child to proclaim their promises to the child and their belief in the baptismal rites usually inscribed along the Apostle's creed.

Water. the priest pours water over the baby's head as a sign of cleansing the sins. It also symbolizes life, of physical life and of spiritual life into which the baptized person enters into.

Baptismal candle. the candles were lit from the Easter candle which symbolized Christ as the light of the world. The eyes of the baptized child have opened to the light of creation and by the flame of faith which will guide her through the rest of the child's life.

White garment. symbolized the child's new life in Christ. The color white speaks of life's purity, a new life and innocence. 

Finally, the Role of godparents. godparents represent as the second parent to the child. When the parents of the child died prematurely, or becoming irresponsible, the godparents could step-in for the welfare of the child. To nurture the child's faith towards a better Christian living. 

So becoming a godparent to the child doesn't end after the photo sessions are over or when all the coffees and cookies are gone. There are big shoes to fill in the life of the child besides just giving Christmas and birthday gifts every year. Being a godparent, really means becoming a good role model for the child, supporting his or her developments both in faith and his moral upbringing.

There you go. Til next time :)


4 comments:

  1. I presume, you are an admirable person to be chosen godfather. How many godchildren did you have, if I may ask?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jung, maybe I had that trait that they're not telling me about lol. You had me recalling some of my godchildren there, I could remember 10 of them but at the back of my mind something is telling me I missed out someone :). Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  2. Wow! With 10+ godchildren, you might have a good personality. I am so empress. Do you have kids of your own? Because you imprint that you are to your friends :0) I want to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you Karen :), and to answer your question, nope, maybe that's one of the reasons I am fit for the role in my friends list. I really haven't given that much thought, though. I just find it a pleasure that they trust me that much and I'm just returning the favor. Btw, it's good of you to leave a comment here. Really appreciate your time. Have a nice day =)

      Delete